Conduct a Baseline Risk Assessment and Take Appropriate Action (HIRA)
Unit Standard 244287 Aligned
Conduct a baseline risk assessment and take appropriate action
Explain the specified requirements needed to conduct a baseline risk assessment.
- The process of identifying hazards and assessing the associated risks, as well as the information required to conduct the baseline risk assessment is explained.
- The definitions and applications of the base-line risk assessment process are explained and applied to the identified hazards and associated risks.
- The sequence of applying control measures when dealing with hazards is explained.
- The importance of identifying, dealing with, and reporting hazards is explained.
- The application of the different types of risk assessments is explained.
Prepare to conduct a baseline risk assessment.
- The relevant documents are collated based on previously identified hazards, risks, and associated risks, incidents, and control measures.
- Team members are selected and trained in a manner that fosters teamwork and avoids conflict.
- The importance of ensuring that personal protective equipment is available, operational, fit for purpose, and used in accordance with its design and specified requirements is explained in terms of the consequences to health and safety.
- The required arrangements in terms of venues, sites, and attendance are explained according to the selected methodology.
Conduct a baseline risk assessment.
- Hazards and associated risks are identified and assessed in comparison with available standards.
- A risk profile is drafted, identified deviations are recorded and a report is prepared.
Initiate remedial action for hazards identified and risks assessed.
- Control measures are identified, deviations recorded, and actions are taken, compliant with the specified operational procedures.
- Final reports are completed, submitted to designated personnel on time, and dates are proposed for subsequent control assessments.